Over Spring Break students are challenged to read as part of the annual TVCS Read-a-thon. This event, sponsored by the TVCS Parent Teacher Organization, runs from March 13th to March 28th. See more information below.
When: March 13th- March 28th
Who: PTO is sponsoring a Read-a-thon for all classes and students
Why: Encourage reading over spring break & raise funds for classroom & school improvements
- Students set a minute reading goal
- Students start collecting pledges Saturday, March 13th
- (Pledges can come from family, friends, and neighbors- with parent help)
- Students log date and minutes read and parents initial whenever the students read
- Collect pledge donations at the end
- Return packet (with Minute Reading Log, Pledge form, & money) by April 8th
What kind of reading counts?
- Reading in a train, with a fox, in the rain, or on a box
- Reading aloud to other people, dogs, cats, fish, pets, or toys
- Being read to by parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings, friends, etc.
- Reading under the bed covers, with a flashlight, late at night (but only if it is okay with your parents)
- Reading assigned homework (including book report reading)
- Reading anything, in any language (even cereal boxes)
- No guessing or rounding off minutes- Please look at the clock or use a timer or stopwatch to clock your minutes
CHARACTER COUNTS—be honest with your minutes
- Parents need to initial your minutes on the Minutes Reading Log
- All participants who turn in their reading log with at least one entry (Even without any pledge donations)
- All students that reach their minute goal (set that with your parents)
- Classes that reach the class minute goals (set by classes and teachers)
- Class with the most minutes read will get a prize!
- Top reader in each grade level will get a prize!
- Top reader in the school will get a grand prize!